Minutes for CD Board Meeting
Monday, June 5, 2017 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Granada Community Services District (GCSD) offices, 504 Avenue Alhambra, Third Floor, El Granada, CA 94018
President Kehoe called the meeting to order at 7:10 pm. Present Kehoe, Dye, Fisher, Garrity, Klein. Absent: Fried, Slater-Carter
Open Comments – Dye talked about a presentation by Eleni Kounalakis, candidate for Lt. Governor, at Brews and Views. The Club might consider inviting her to speak at a meeting.
Kehoe – K. Gary Weddell, who is running for San Mateo County Superintendent of Schools in 2018 would like to speak. Don Horsley aske regarding an early endorsement for Supervisor. Discussion of options for primary endorsements.
Consent Agenda (5 min) Move Approval Gerrity/Klein unanimous
Approval of Agenda
Approval of minutes from April 3, 2017, May 5, 2017 and May 21, 2017 meetings
Approval of Treasurer’s reports May 2017
Approve $ 50.00 reimbursement to H. Rarback for Senior Coastsider deposit.
Approve half the donations ($260/130 to date) from Cotchett book for Coastside Hope.
Return of Monthly Happy Hour – Discussion of venues. Consensus that this would be a good idea to pursue. Deferred to program committee. Recommendation to have event in July.
Complications of Coastside Dem’s Domain Name – Kehoe (10 min). Motion: Approve payment owed to Ken Myers in the amount of $209.76 for the domain name and services rendered. Garrity/Fisher: unanimous
Review May 2017 Annual Meeting – All (15 min). Lessons learned.
- Interested in mechanisms to ensure smooth functioning of meetings.
- Concerns about campaigning on private property, in locations not authorized for use
- Need better training for volunteers passing out ballots, collecting donations, etc.
- Need to have a policy regarding maximum number of ballot counting observers. Counters were intimidated by number and attitude of observers.
- Recommend no bylaw changes that would affect an election.
Committee Assignments – New assignments and review policy
- Finance – Fried
- Membership – Fried
- Program – Klein & Gerrity
- Endorsement and Elections Committee (should be looking for candidates) – seeing Chair
- Legislation – seeking Chair
- Publicity & Media Committee – Dye
Policies vs Bylaws – Kehoe: Club needs to start planning a policy review
- Kehoe to contact key volunteers for recommendations, contact DCC regarding policy manual
- Gerrity and Klein to bring recommendations for policy changes regarding annual meeting to next board meeting.
- Discussion of policy regarding posts on Facebook page. Preference to local groups and events, connected to official Democratic Party activities.
- Need for committee to review policies. Board will consider and discuss options for productive process.
Committee Reports (10 min)
- Finance – Meg Fried – no report
- Membership – Meg Fried – no report
- Program – Kathy Klein – Doreen Gerrity
Options for future programs: Eleni Kounalakis (running for Lt. Governor), Sandra Fluke, Tony Thurmond (Assemblyman running for Sup. Of Public Instruction) – panel with Sophia Layne (local School Board)?, Jerry Field re single payer.
Looking into movies with Dems – film re single payer
- Endorsement and Elections Committee – ???
- Legislation – ???
- Publicity & Media Committee – Barbara Dye
- Voter Registration – Klein
- SMC DCC Report – Brigid?
Lightning Round – All Upcoming items for future agenda or Club action
Next Board meeting time and place: possibly July 24, 2017 GCSD 7 PM